Sunday, July 26, 2009

Going back to my roots


I found some fun books about animals and farms at the library this week so I decided to do an activity about farms with the boys. I don't usually pick an activity to go with specific books. If we do an activity and have a book or find one at the library that goes with it, then we read it. But I found these books and thought the boys would enjoy doing something centering around farms.



We talked about the different plants they might find on a farm (ie. gardens, orchards, crops, etc.) and then they made salads. I drew different fruits and veggies and they chose what they wanted in their salad and colored it and glued it to their bowl.


I have these little posters I got from when I taught at Head Start. The boys love them. We counted, made animal sounds (for Eli) and talked about farm animals. Then....



We went to this awesome free farm that is just about two miles from my house! It was great. The boys loved it.




Eli decided he was done by the time we got to the cows...I think the picture speaks for itself.



This was funny. The boys kept trying to get the rooster and chickens. The rooster flapped it's wings at Isaac to get him to go away and it scared Isaac and he took off running.


Isaac and Eli were not huge fans of the horses. They were so big and so friendly that they were a tad bit scared. Will, however, loved them and stood there on the fence for a long time just petting away. And then one of the horses farted in a little girl's face and we all thought that was gross so we moved on to the next thing.


We took a quick walk around the old farm house inside and then we walked down the lane to the visitors center where they had a pretend school house for the kids to play in and a penny candy store downstairs. The boys brought money from their piggy banks and loved choosing candy.

It was a great activity!

2 comments:

Marcy said...

That picture of Eli crying in front of the cows is so funny! You are such an interactive mom--I love it!

Cali said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! That farm looks so cool! And I'm jealous of all of the green, is it that beautiful everywhere? If so, I'm COMPLETELY jealous. I don't know if I'm quite up for the desert yet...